Our good friends had us over for dinner last weekend. They made this amazing tortilla soup from scratch. The chilies in the soup gave it a beautiful rustic feel and a splash of lime with fresh avocados brought the freshness to this delicious Mexican classic. Not to forget, crispy strips of fried tortillas add so much crunch and flavour…yum yum yum!!
Today, I created tortilla soup using GOOD FOOD FOR GOOD Chile de Arbol Sauce for Tacos. I added black beans for protein and butternut squash for sweetness to make it a family favorite. Ready in less than 20 minutes this flavorful soup tastes even better with avocado and lime garnish. Add a touch of fresh cilantro for added freshness. Traditionally this soup is garnished with fried tortilla strips but to save time I garnished it with lightly salted organic corn chips.
- Chile de Arbol Sauce for Tacos by GOOD FOOD FOR GOOD (250ml)
- 1.5 cup boiled black beans
- 2 cups cubed butter nut squash
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- Avocado, cilantro and tortilla chips for garnish
- In a stockpot mix black beans, Taco sauce, butternut squash, water and salt.
- Let it come to a boil on high heat
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook covered for 15 minutes stirring every 5 minutes.
- Squish some butternut squash with the back of the spoon and cook open till desired consistency is achieved. (~2min)
- Add 2 tsp of lime juice and stir.
- Serve with chopped avocado in lime, cilantro and some tortilla chips