Quinoa is a tiny seed and whole grain that is light and easy to prepare. It is high in protein and tastes great in many recipes! This salad makes a great lunch, snack or dinner. Easy to pack up in a container or send it with the kids to school for lunch!
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 large cup chickpeas
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint chopped
- 1 bunch spinach finely chopped into shreds
- 1 cucumber seeded and chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup carrots shredded (or you can use cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves or quarters)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 2 teaspoons tahini or dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Pepper to taste
- Rinse quinoa and strain through a fine mesh. Add rinsed quinoa to a pot and dry toast for a few minutes. Add 2 cups of water with a pinch of sea salt and bring to a boil.
- Simmer quinoa for 15 minutes until all the water has absorbed.
- Turn off heat; let it sit for a minute or two. Then remove quinoa and spread out on a plate to cool. Then place into a bowl and combine with chickpeas, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach parsley and mint.
- Mix dressing and toss into the quinoa mixture, and gently stir from the bottom up
Recipe by Marni Wasserman