Sweet Potato and Eggplant Vindaloo.
Often I find myself craving the intense flavours of the Vindaloo sauce, but I may not necessarily be in the mood for something hot. I have experimented a few ways to enjoy the Vindaloo flavours but keep the heat level in check. Here is an easy and delicious side dish of mixed vegetables in Vindaloo sauce that offers a good blend of spicy and sweet. I used a combination of sweet potato, onion, eggplant, and tomatoes for this recipe but feel free to create your own vegetable (or meat and vegetable) mix. The key for the mix is to include at least one sweet tasting vegetable, such as sweet potato or squash.
- 1/2 jar (125 ml) Vindaloo sauce by GOOD FOOD FOR GOOD
- 1 medium sized onion – cubed
- 1 medium sized eggplant – cubed with skin
- 1 small sweet potato – peeled and cubed
- 2 medium sized tomatoes cubed
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or your preferred cooking oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- (Optional) Chopped cilantro
- Warm oil in a non stick pan, when hot add sweet potatoes and let them cook till they develop some good brown spots (~3 minutes).
- Add onions, eggplant and salt, and allow all the vegetables to cook till almost done (~5 minutes).
- Add tomatoes and allow all the vegetables to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir 1/2 jar of Vindaloo sauce with the vegetables and cook for 2 minutes till they are all mixed well.
- Taste to check the seasoning and feel free to add more sauce if you like more heat.
- Remove from heat and let stand for a few minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!
Recipe and photo by Richa Gupta