This is my little secret! I am always looking to boost up the nutrients in my every day meal. I find it easier to just sneak a little bit of super food in every meal – some hemp and flex seeds in my pasta sauces, moringa in my pesto and spinach curry and sesame in all my asian stir fry.
I always had that intention but it became a reality when I bought these glass jars and filled them with all the super foods I wanted to add. They lie right on my counter next to my stove. So, no matter what I am cooking I have these super foods right in front of my eyes waiting to be added to my meal.
I keep the following super foods on my counter:
1. Nutritional Yeast – Nutritional yeast is a complete protein and a great source of vitamin B.
2. Sesame Seeds – Sesame seeds are a good source of copper, manganese, and a good source of magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, zinc, molybdenum, and selenium.
3. Flax meal – Flax seed meal is easily processed by our body, providing lignans and fibre, plus the omega-3 fatty acid, alpha-linolenic (ALA).
4. Moringa powder – Moringa leaves are a great source of Vitamin A,B, C, calcium, magnesium and many antioxidants.
5. Canahua grain– Canahua is a cousin of quinoa and is a great source of protein, calcium, iron and antioxidants
6. Hemp hearts – Hemp hearts are the most concentrated and best balanced source of proteins, essential fats and vitamins in nature.
7. Chia seeds – Chia seeds contain calcium, manganese, and phosphorus, and are a great source of healthy omega-3 fats.
8. Amaranth seeds – Amaranth contains calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, and iron. One cup of uncooked amaranth has 31 percent of the RDA for calcium, 14 percent for vitamin C, and a whopping 82 percent for iron.
If you want to boost the nutrients in your meals, I suggest bringing all of your super foods out on the counter. It really helps, there is no way you can ignore them when they are staring right at you!