Sweet potatoes are my favourite! They are so delicious and hearty and loaded with micro nutrients. I make these Mexican style stuffed sweet potato with beans when I am not doing Whole30. For Whole30, I am stuffing them with a spicy pumpkin seed mix. These beauties topped with a home made guacamole will keep you full for hours.
Pumpkin seeds are loaded with healthy fats, manganese, iron, magnesium and zinc. 1 cup of raw, shelled pumpkin seeds contain a whooping 45g of protein and a lot of good fats. Pumpkin seeds make a great plant-based substitute that is rich in fats, proteins and micro nutrients.
- 1 cup Raw shelled pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup Diced onion
- 1 Garlic clove finely grated
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil
- ¼ cup Good Food For Good Spicy Ketchup
- ¼ cup Water
- 2 tsp Ground cumin
- ¼ tsp Cayenne
- ½ Tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 4 Organic sweet potatoes
- Salt to taste
- Mix Ketchup, cumin, cayenne, salt and water and keep aside.
Pumpkin Seed Filling
- Soak pumpkin seeds in water over night or at least for 4 hours. Rinse and Drain soaked pumpkin seeds and coarsely grind them in the food processor.
- Add 1 Tbsp of oil to a heavy bottom pan and sauté onions till nice and golden.
- Add 1 tsp of garlic to the onions and cook for about 30 seconds stirring well.
- Add the pumpkin seeds and cook for another 30 seconds stirring well.
- Add the sauce and allow the mix to cook till the water is absorbed and all the flavours are combined well. Taste the mix and adjust the salt if needed.
- Rinse the sweet potatoes and remove any blemishes.
- Pierce each potato several times with a knife.
- Bake on a tray for about 35 minutes or till its soft to touch and you can insert a knife without resistance.
- Cut the sweet potatoes length wise and split them in two halves.
- Fork the baked sweet potato to get the flesh nice and easy to eat.
- Top with a good amount of pumpkin seed mix and good serving of guacamole.
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy a delicious and healthy meal.