Snack/ Whole30/ Vegan
Serves 2 | Cooks in 15 minutes
Walnuts are exceptionally nutritious. They have higher antioxidant activity and significantly more healthy omega-3 fats than any other common nut. This delicious recipe also contributes comes with many health benefits associated with walnuts, such as reduced inflammation and improved heart disease risk factors. 1 cup of chopped walnuts has about 76g of good fats and 18g of protein as well as a good amount of potassium, magnesium and iron.
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/4 cup Good Food for Good Spicy Ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- To make taco sauce, mix Spicy Ketchup, cumin, cayenne, salt and water.
- Soak walnuts overnight. Drain, rinse and coarsely grind the walnuts.
- Heat avocado oil in a heavy bottom cast iron pan.
- Sauté diced onions and add minced garlic once onions are close to being done. Add diced peppers after a couple of minutes and sauté for another few minutes.
- Add the coarsely ground walnuts and the sauce. Add additional 1/4 cup of water and cook until water is almost evaporated (4 minutes)
- Serve on lettuce with guacamole!
Traditional ketchups have over 4g of sugar per tablespoon which is more sugar than 1 Chips Ahoy Cookie. Good Food For Good's Organic Spicy Ketchup is sweetened only with dates and has only 1g of natural sugar per tablespoon.